Please ignore the arbitrary start date for this eLearning course. Enrolment takes place the next working day after booking, so please check your email for your login details.
This online course comprises of 4 modules. Each module is approximately 45 minutes in length.
The modules are as such:
Module 1 Introduction and Overview of standard
Module 1 will take about 45 minutes including an assessment at the end.
- Reasons for carrying out tree works
- Potential consequences of pruning
- Natural Target Pruning: minimise damage
- The decision-making process (Stage 1. Instruction, Stage 2. Planning, Stage 3. Options, Stage 4. Specification, Stage 5. Control of work, Stage 6. Execution of works, and Stage 7. Follow ups)
- Tree work safety and planning
- Avoiding transmission of pests and pathogens
- Avoiding damage from tree work operations and site management.
Module 2 Scheduling Tree Works
Module 2 will take about 55 minutes including an assessment at the end.
- Risk control
- Scheduling of work affecting the soil, soil: do you understand it, do you consider it?, scheduling of pruning / phenology
- Past damage / past management
- Habitat and wildlife
- Timing of works, seasonal problems, phased work
- Veteran trees
- Management of the rooting environment
- Mulching, aeration / decompaction, removal / replacement of soil, nutrient deficiencies, other treatments and treatment of contaminated soil Module 2
Module 3 Pruning and Related Works
Module 3 will take about 45 minutes including an assessment at the end.
- Minimising the potentially undesirable effects of pruning,
- Deciding where and how much to prune, key principles.
- Pruning operations: risk management of deadwood - formative pruning - crown lifting - crown thinning - crown reduction – pollarding.
- Structural weaknesses and specialised practices.
Module 4 Tree Works Applications
Module 4 will take about 45 minutes including an assessment at the end.
- Applying for works to protected trees,
- Specifications / definitions,
- Conditional consent,
- Acceptable levels of pruning and phasing of tree works.
BS3998 Book List:
Here is the list of publications mentioned throughout the course.
Terms and Conditions for BS3998
The Arboricultural Association reserves the right to cancel courses and refund applicants.
A £30 administration charge may be applied to changes made to bookings that have been received and acknowledged.
You have a legal right to cancel the Agreement, under the Consumer Agreements Regulations 2013, during the period of 14 days after the date you receive a Confirmation Email from us. This means that during this period if you change your mind or decide for any other reason that you do not want a Course, you can advise us of your decision to cancel the Agreement and receive a refund, provided that you have not started the course.
Please note, a FULL charge will be applied to any booking cancelled after online content has been accessed.
For all course bookings outside the UK and Europe, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Whilst not essential, it may be helpful to have a copy of BS3998 with you if possible throughout the course.