The Tree Council’s Seed Gathering Season is upon us and it’s your chance to grow your own trees for free!
From 22 September to 22 October 2021, The Tree Council will lead school and community groups, volunteer Tree Wardens, conservation charities and the general public in its 21st Seed Gathering Season campaign, inspiring all of us to reconnect with nature and gather the seeds of a brighter future.
To help people get outside and get involved, The Tree Council is hosting a free online Seed Gathering Masterclass and releasing updated seed gathering and seed identification guides on their website.
As we face the twin climate and biodiversity crises, now more than ever it’s vital we protect our trees and hedgerows – and plant new ones. Growing seeds from healthy UK trees will not only ensure our treescapes can flourish; it will also reduce the threat of imported pests and diseases.
Collecting seeds now to grow later in the year is a fantastic opportunity for everyone to get involved. It’s a fun, free and accessible activity for your family, friends and community and a great way to find out more about the tree species in your area and connect with the wild green spaces around you.
Sara Lom, CEO, The Tree Council said:
“Seed Gathering Season is a wonderful opportunity for all of us to come together and enjoy the outdoors ahead of the winter tree planting season. Trees and hedgerows help tackle climate change, support wildlife, improve our health, and so much more - by gathering seeds in your local patch, you’ll be helping ensure a green and tree-filled future for generations to come. We’re so grateful to everyone across the UK for taking part in Seed Gathering Season as we work together to grow a greener planet.”
How to get involved
- Join our free online Seed Gathering Masterclass on 28 September.
- Download The Tree Council’s new seed guides to get started.
- Read more about how to collect seeds and grow them into the trees of the future.
- Get collecting! Whether you have a family day out, take a solo walk or organise a community event, every seed you gather will make a difference.
- Share photos and videos of your amazing seed gathering on social media with #SeedGatheringSeason.