Post No.: PA006
Hours: 40 hours per week
Salary: £33,435 (ENS02) - Negotiable
Location: Wandsworth Common
Closing date: 21 February 2021
Interviews: w/c 1 March 2021
Enable Leisure & Culture is the lead council contractor providing arboricultural management services across parks, open spaces, cemeteries and housing sites throughout the borough of Wandsworth. We are a registered charity, committed to doing things differently and have the wellbeing of staff at the centre of everything we do - be that through the free yoga, massage and arts sessions we run, flexible working opportunities, staff perks vouchers, free gym membership schemes or formal training which is open to all staff.
We are looking for a passionate and motivated Arboricultural professional to join a dynamic and dedicated team in caring for trees in one of Inner London’s greenest boroughs. You will share our passion to protect and plant trees and take responsibility for their safe management in regionally important sites such as Battersea Park, Wandsworth Park and Wandsworth Common.
Ideally you will have experience of urban tree management including surveys, mapping, and tree recording. You will have up to date knowledge of arboricultural practices, national and regional guidance and be familiar with current arboricultural legislation. You will hold or be working towards a National Diploma in Arboriculture and or have other relevant arboricultural qualifications. Candidates will need to be able to travel effectively around the borough to fulfil their duties.
Above all you will have a passion for trees, care about protecting and enhancing the natural environment and want to contribute to a company that is driven to improve greenspaces for visitors and residents of Wandsworth.
For an informal discussion, please contact Pat Langley, Arboricultural Manager on 0203 959 0071.
Enable Leisure and Culture
Post: Arboricultural Officer
Post No.: PA006
Line Manager: Arboricultural Manager
Section: Tree Team
Accountable to the Head of Parks for the provision of arboricultural management services in accordance with contract specification.
Responsible to the Arboricultural Manager for;
- The inspection and maintenance and recording of the borough tree stock within a given geographic area including the preparation of work schedules and subsequent contract specifications, procurement of tree work and supervision contract works to ensure their satisfactory completion.
- The provision of arboricultural advice and services to our client Wandsworth Borough Council, and to other agencies, including liaison with client services to ensure that their requirements and legal obligations are being met.
- Answering and actioning enquiries and complaints from borough residents.
- The implementation and promotion of good arboricultural practice.
- Participation in the emergency call out rota and making inspections in response to calls from the emergency services office and actioning any necessary remedial works.
- Provision of arboricultural management services to outside management agencies (schools, cooperatives, housing agents etc.) under service level agreements.
- Inspection and actioning work in respect of dangerous private trees as required by the Highways Act, Local Government (miscellaneous provisions) Act or other legislation.
- Identifying and actioning tree planting requirements across the client portfolio.
- Processing applications in respect of Tree Preservation Order and Conservation Area legislation including site inspections and producing and dispatching decision letters subsequent to assessment of trees on site including provision of pre-application advice to owners and agents.
- Surveying of trees and making recommendations in respect of applying new Tree Preservation Orders or the updating of existing orders.
- Provision of arboricultural advice and recommendations in respect of development applications including upon the implementation of planning conditions and investigation and recommendations in respect of unauthorized trees works as regards Town and Country Planning Act.
- Undertakes other duties commensurate with the position as directed by the Arboricultural Manager or Head of Parks.
You must be able to demonstrate the following:
- Holds, or is prepared to study for, the National Diploma in Arboriculture, or equivalent.
- Practical experience of tree inspection and management including the understanding of tree biology, tree risk management, tree maintenance, pests and diseases and knowledge of current biological threats to trees in the UK.
- Up-to-date knowledge of current legislation in respect of trees and arboriculture and current arboricultural techniques and practices.
- The ability to communicate effectively with the public in writing and face to face under, at times, stressful and emotive situations and to maintain a polite, sympathetic manner with the public whilst providing excellent customer service.
- Experience of supervising staff and contractors, with the ability to delegate, manage and motivate staff to work in a team environment, in order to deliver a high quality service and adapt to various demands and workloads as required.
- Must be able to work alone on site with the ability to organise and prioritise your own work programme to meet work demands in a timely manner unsupervised.
- Must be physically able to undertake tree inspections.
- Ability to follow procedures methodically and professionally and to record accurate planning and other documentation focusing on detailed requirements.
- Experience of applying numeracy skills in order to provide accurate tree data recording, financial and statistical information.
- Must be computer literate with experience of using MS Office applications and bespoke packages, in particular experience of tree data recording and using databases and mapping software.
- Ability to travel freely and quickly within the borough.
- Ability to work additional hours including weekend call-out duties based on a one weekend in four, on a rota basis, shared with the other members of the team.
- To be prepared to work additional hours, as required, to meet the needs of the service.