abuse adaptive growth approved contractor ARB Approved Contractor Arboricultural Association Arborist Arborists ash dieback Asian assessment Atypical Myopathy bad arborist bat conservation trust bats become an approved contractor benefit benefits Benefits of Trees beware Biosecurity bird nesting season birds bleeding blocked drain blog boundary bracing branches british bats BS5837 building callus careers cavity certification CHIP clear Climbing code of ethics code of practice colleges common law communication complain complaints conservation conservation areas construction consultant Contractor conversion coppicing Coronavirus CoSHH council council land court COVID-19 crown crown lifting crown raising crown reduction crown thinning danger of felling dangerous dangers deadwood defamation definitions diagnostic service dieback directive directory discrimination disease dispute Distance driveway duty of care ear defenders ecologist education ethics european habitats directive felling licences Finance fines forum fruit trees fungus glossary good arborist good climbing practice ground nesting birds guidance Guides habitat hammering harassment harmful hazardous substances health health & safety health and safety heavy clay hedge height helliwell help and advice help for arborists HMRC hollow tree Hornet horses HSE initials injury Insects intrusive i-Tree ivy land registry legal requirements legislation lifting equipment light light loss local councils local planning authority LOLER lopping loss maternity minimum recommended distance mobile phone monetary value music nail neighbour nesting nesting birds directive noise at work Oak Processionary Moth OPM penalty permission personal protective equipment pests Pests and Diseases phone usage phones up trees planning consent planning system point value policies post nominals PPE Practice nOtes problem tree professional conduct property protection proximity pruning qualifications radio reasonable care registered consultant regulations restrictive covenants risk assessment risk to health road management roost roots Rope Royal Veterinary College safe safety schedule 5 schedule 6 Security site clearance sites of special scientific interest smothering Specialists study subsidence sycamore Talking Trees TDAG Technical Technique terminology The British Horse Society time of year tool box talk topping tpo traffic management training Tree Tree Advice Trust tree assessment tree consultant Tree Health tree management tree officer tree ownership Tree Planting tree preservation order tree roots Tree Species Selection Tree Specifiers tree surgeon tree valuation trees trees causing cracks trolling Two Rope unsafe Urban Urban Trees verbal abuse VETcert vibration levels victimisation videos Watering wildlife wildlife and countryside act Women In Arboriculture working at height working equipment

What practical qualifications and training do I need?

 25/11/2015    Last Modified: 04/02/2016

Legal Requirements

The Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974 and the Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations 1999 place general duties on employers and the self-employed to provide health and safety information and training. Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations 1998 place more specific duties on employers and the self-employed to ensure that any person who uses or supervises the use of work equipment has had adequate training.

What do they require?

Legislation requires that training is provided when first starting work, exposure to new or increased risks occurs or for refresher purposes for high risk activities or non-frequently used skills. In particular, the Approved Code of Practice accompanying PUWER, 1998 requires:

  • Drivers of self-propelled machines (including any attachments or towed equipment) to have received adequate training;
  • Anyone working with chainsaws to hold a Certificate of Competence award or national competence award relevant to the work they undertake.

Training should be provided during normal working hours and at no cost to the employee.

Provision of Training

Training is commonly provided by a combination of in-house, college and specialist training depending upon the nature of the task involved and the required final outcome, i.e. certificates of competence etc. Where training is to be consolidated through work-based experience prior to testing the trainee should hold a recognised certificate of training and be adequately supervised by a competent person holding relevant certificates.

Due to the high risk nature of arboricultural operations it is strongly recommended that specialist instructors carry out required training.


Independent assessment is required for all professional users of chainsaws to ensure that the initial training has been fully understood and skills developed. For most advanced skills, assessment should be independent of any training (however some additional training may include integrated assessment). All such training and successful assessment will result in the award of a nationally recognised Ofqual qualification, certificate of competence, or licence to practice.

For less risky operations such as the use of woodchippers, stump grinders, MEWPS etc training and certification may be combined in an Integrated Training and Assessment package (ITA).

Any in-house training must be to the same level as the above and adequate records must be kept to demonstrate how this has been achieved.

Nationally recognised certificates of competence/licence to practice are a straightforward method of demonstrating skills for a particular operation without the need for further detailed records.

Holders of such certificates do not generally require close supervision, however ongoing monitoring of operating standards by the employer will be required, and should be recorded. It is unrealistic to expect operators who have passed certificates of competence to achieve full output until they have consolidated the skills learned.

Refresher Training

Regular refresher training should be completed by all professional users in order to maintain skills and knowledge. This will normally be every 5 years. Those who undertake operations infrequently may need more regular refresher training, every 2-3 years.

Further information:

health & safety, training, legal requirements, certification, qualifications