Help & Advice Search Results


View the Introductory Guide to Young Tree Establishment Sieries

What are my legal requirements for Health and Safety Legal requirements: Health and Safety at Work etc. Act 1974 (HaSWA or ‘the Act’) Section 2(3) requires all organisations etc. to have a policy for managing health and safety. Where 5 or more people are employed the policy should be written down*. Management of Health and...
 25/11/2015      07:49
Read more
Do you need any form of training before you can set out traffic management signs and cones on a publ  We strongly advise that tree work contractors undertake appropriate training for all activities they carry out in order to comply with legislation. In this case the New Roads and Street Works Act along with relevant guidance such as the Safety at Street Works and Road Works C...
 25/11/2015      07:26
Read more
So what can we expect if we find ourselves in breach of the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 act?  Magistrates’ Courts operate a tiered fines system dependent on the seriousness of the offence. This could be up to £5000 or for the most serious offences an unlimited amount. Other alternative punishments issued by Magistrates’ Courts include a community sentence like unpaid ...
 24/11/2015      09:03
Read more
How can I ensure that the equipment I use meets the statutory regulations?  Work Equipment Legal requirements The primary objective of the  Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations 1998  (PUWER) is to ensure that work equipment should not result in health and safety risks, regardless of its age, condition or origin and that it should be ...
 25/11/2015      11:00
Read more
Power to the Bump - support for new mothers  In 2016 the Equality and Human Rights Commission/Department for Business, Innovation and Skills published research findings, which showed that young women are more likely to experience particular negative and potentially discriminatory experiences related to their pregnancy a...
 25/03/2019      13:58
Read more
What practical qualifications and training do I need?  Legal Requirements The Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974  and the  Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations 1999  place general duties on employers and the self-employed to provide health and safety information and training.  Provision and Use of Work Equi...
 25/11/2015      09:40
Read more
Help for arborists  Help for Arborists is a library of generic and arb-specific guidance resources available for members to download and use. ‌ Help for arborists Here you can find generic HSE guidance and also the AA’s arb-specific guidance in the form of templates, proformas and associated ...
 10/12/2015      09:49
Read more
When and why do I need to do a risk assessment?  Risk Assessment Legal Requirements Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations 1999  (MHSWR or ‘the Management Regs’)  Regulation 3  requires every employer to make a suitable and sufficient assessment of the risks to the health and safety of his employees whil...
 25/11/2015      11:06
Read more
What are the working regulations for PPE (Personal Protective Equipment )?  Personal Protective Equipment at Work Regulations, 1992 What is it? The PPE regulations require that employers provide suitable protective equipment to employees except where the risk has been adequately controlled by other means which are equally or more effective. W...
 25/11/2015      10:15
Read more
Arboricultural Association Safety Guides  This series of Safety Guides has been developed to help operators and those responsible for their supervision, e.g. the ‘Competent Person’, to identify the key safety points in relation to activities involving tree work at height. Each Safety Guide relates to a specific rang...
 15/12/2020      10:47
Read more